*(This posting includes a handout which you are welcome to use with your students.)
Teachers, if you prefer to be the center of attention during a lesson, THIS UNIT IS NOT FOR YOU. But if you to play the role of a coach, setting up the lesson, briefly explaining the exercises and stepping aside to let students engage in assignments allowing you more time to work individually with each student, THIS UNIT IS FOR YOU.
In this YouTube video Engaging, Student-Centered ESL Writing Unit Using Inductive Approach , I describe the unit exercises…
- which use an inductive approach,
- the rationale for each one,
- how they engage students,
- how they lead students to write a four to five paragraph essay with a variety of details.
After you watch the video, you’ll be all set to download the unit for free and use it with your students.
Here is the link to the unit: Inductive Writing Unit
As I describe in the YouTube video, the exercises in the download will lead students to:
- understand the mode (Explaining types of things),
- interact with a sample essay,
- choose a topic and write a first draft,
- understanding topic sentences
- learn how to effectively use three types of support for their ideas,
- engage with a second sample essay and write a final draft.
Since the focus of this posting is on development of the content of an essay, I won’t include in the download the grammar and style points exercises that are practice in the unit. But, some of these I have discussed in previous posting (with free downloads), and others I plan to discuss in future ones:
Verb + gerund vs. Verb + infinitive, • Teaching Gerunds (a discussion from LINCS)
Phrasal verbs, • Taking On Phrasal Verbs
Grammar groups, • Engaging Grammar Group Activities (Even For Hesitant Students)
For the answer key to the unit, see Pro Lingua Learning–Write after Input
(See instructor’s manual for a photocopyable essay evaluation form.) Pro Lingua Learning–Write after Input Teacher’s Manual
*About the free download materials. During my 40 years of teaching ESL, I have had many colleagues who were very generous with their time, advice and materials. These downloads are my way of paying it forward.